What Will Your Legacy Be?01.09.2019
What makes you come to work every day at your credit union? If it’s a passion for helping people, you’re in the right place.
Working at a credit union makes you part of a powerful movement. You don’t just work at a financial institution. You work for an organization that is laser-focused on promoting the well-being of its members and reaching beyond its doors into the communities it serves.
Want to feed that passion? Invest your time not only in your credit union, but also in yourself so you can become a stronger contributor.
Build a plan now that identifies what your next steps will be. Here are some ideas to get you started:
- Focus on your credit union and your community. Volunteer your time. Build a network of like-minded people who can help further the credit union’s reach and tell the story of “people helping people.”
- Become a certified financial planner. Consumers need reliable financial advice, from budgeting to navigating financial hardships. CUNA’s Financial Counseling Certification Program (FiCEP) provides credit union staff with the skills and knowledge required to guide members to financial security.
- Check out your state league’s website for events and opportunities to support credit union efforts close to home and nationally. Be a voice for consumers and work to eliminate the barriers that hold credit unions and members back.
- Enroll in CUNA Management School. Explore executive responsibilities, financial operations, and leadership skills.
- Attend young professionals events.
Share your vision and plan with your supervisor or manager so they can support and guide your development. Also, look for mentors inside and outside the industry to broaden your scope and perspective.
Feed your passion in service to others and build your legacy. You’ve found a great place to start.
(via Front Line newsletter)